Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Week 7 Thing 16 and 17

My past experience with wikis has only been through Wikipedia. Which I have discouraged teachers and students from accessing as a valid reference tool as it has no guarantee of authority. Until participating in Library 2.0 I had no idea that wikis were a genre of their own with multiple applications. I am very surprised by the diversity of uses for wikis. I enjoyed checking out other uses for a wiki. "Wikis in Plain English" @ teachertube.com and the "Library Success: A best practices wiki" The Book Lovers wiki created by the Princeton Public Library.is great and it is something that a class/teacher/library could easily undertake.

Our senior English program is undergoing a complete overhaul; a new teacher and a new focus. I have already collaborated with the incoming teacher about publishing a senior class magazine but now I am taking to her the idea of a magazine wiki. The online format would allow for ease in composition, editing and publishing. An online format would virtually eliminate publication costs as each student can print their own copy. This is the idea that I added to the California Curriculum Connections wiki - idea #26.

4 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Would you like to invite your new (senior English) teacher to participate in School Library Learning 2.0? The two of you would make a good 2.0 tag-team. NOTE: Most LMTs don't need additional academic credit, but younger teachers do. We offer the option of 2 units of CE from Fresno Pacific University. Just an idea...

Best wishes!

Liz Dodds said...

It sounds like you are off and running with Library 2.0!

Anonymous said...

I really like your idea of the "wiki magazine". This is a perfect idea for a school - such as mine- that doesn't have a school newspaper. This way a club or class could take on the project of being the school 'voice' and produce a paper [without the paper!]. Then it could be posted to the school website.
I really like that! I think I'll bring it up to the English Dept next week. Thanks!
Connie

Anonymous said...

I really like your idea of the wiki magazine. It would work well in a school like mine where there is no school newspaper. It could be posted as a link on the school website.
I'm going to suggest this next week. Thanks for this great idea!
Connie