Friday, June 29, 2007

Week 5 Thing 10, 11 and 12

Visual Poetry - ImageChef.com
Thing 10: This is something I can really get into - so many possibilities . . .
I used Image Chef to create the star filled with the words Enterprise Hornets complete in 'black and gold' (our school colors). The comic strip generator will be used to add some pizzazz to the library orientation presentations, student's library FAQ sheet, new teacher packet. I have been compiling ideas for a new website so I will be definitely be revisiting these sites for that project.
Thing 11: I am already acquainted with Library Thing so I was delighted to see that it was on the short list for Web 2.0 Awards. I signed up to use this web tool. I really like the feature 'suggestions of what to read next'. After 'do you have a 300 page book?' this is the most asked question I hear. Usually this isn't a big deal but I am not a big fan/reader of fantasy and I struggle with on the spot recommendations. I will keep this open on my desktop so that I can quickly refer to it. The other feature that I will put to use is the accessibility to my Library Thing account via cell phone. This will be convenient to use while perusing the bookstore shelves. Another web tool that I came across during my discovery activities is montage-a-google (grant.robinson.name/projects/montage-a-google/) I found this to be a creative and fun tool. Check it out!
Thing 12: I created a 'pathfinder' for a Vietnam/1960's project on Rollyo. So far I am not buying what they are selling. Perhaps I am missing the point. I prefer to compose pathfinders that include print and multimedia sources and not strictly websites. My intention is to make these pathfinders available via our website when we redo it. Also I was not successful in adding the link to my blog - unless some way somehow it miraculously appears! Unless someone can show me the finer points of Rollyo I will never use this tool. Thing 12 was a bummer after having so much fun with the other two activities. Oh well . . .

3 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Wow! What a star! Yes, so many possibilities with ImageChef and similar image generators.
Enjoy!

Nice Guy said...

There's too many image generators to keep track of.

Joan Tracy said...

"Rollyo. So far I am not buying what they are selling."
Pam,
I have to generally agree with you. I have tried Rollyo with selected sites chosen for specific student projects and not been so pleased with results. But I like the concept of a single search from quality sources for students, to fight the Google factor. Maybe it will improve.