Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Week 4 Thing 8 and 9

I admit that RSS readers have tremendous potential; students could use them for research projects, teachers for a quote of the day or anyone to keep up on personal issues. I will definitely introduce this to my teachers. In fact, I am considering putting together a presentation that includes all the tools that I am discovering through School Library Learning 2.0.

Since I am a current user of other Google offerings I chose to use Google Reader for this activity. I added several fun but useful subscriptions to my new RSS account but I know that I won't keep up on it unless I have specific project that I am working on. Heck, I have email that I haven't read that is two months + old! We'll see. I am anxious to read the comments of other bloggers regarding their ideas for RSS's uses.

After exploring the search tools for RSS feeds and blogs (thing 9), I found Google the easiest to use (clean and simple). Topix was also a contender, simple to navigate and it offered the novice direction with their "Read the Blog", "Talk in the Forum", "Edit the News" sections. Most of the others were too 'busy' and unappealing for my tastes.

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Good to see you are enjoying RSS feeds. Enjoy!

Dragon Lady said...

I too am considering a presentation to my staff with everything that I am learning. We have a big focus on collaboration this year and I think many of these tools will be a big boost in this direction. Maybe some of us with this interest can share ideas for creating a presentation.